Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Eclipse Foundation » ECA, licensing and public domain
ECA, licensing and public domain [message #1834945] Sat, 21 November 2020 14:04 Go to next message
Darth Bolek is currently offline Darth BolekFriend
Hello,

I have been going through documentation for contribution process, and that ended up with my disappointment...

ECA forces me to:
* disclosing my personal details
* agreeing to my contributions being kept in public record together with my personal details
* holding/reserving all right, title and interest in my contributions

Is it possible to contribute to eclipse when:
* staying anonymous
* the contributions are made as public domain (I do not want any rights to them)

Re: ECA, licensing and public domain [message #1834947 is a reply to message #1834945] Sat, 21 November 2020 16:19 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Sorry but I believe contributions must be attributed to a real, existing, breathing human being. A contribution cannot just come from thin air. As far as I understand it, the only personal detail that is generally public is your name, though other committers will see your email address (the one you use to track your contributions).

Of course your contributions are open source and are tracked in a publicly visible way, e.g., in a public Git repository. What you contribute is your intellectual property and you may continue to do with it freely whatever you wish, including selling it elsewhere or donating it elsewhere. But anyone modifying your EPL-licensed contribution must contribute those changes back, or at least share them publicly under the EPL license such that one could choose to take it back as a contribution. That being said, you would have no special personal rights to such improvements; those apply only to only to your original creation/contribution.

So no, I do not believe you can contribute anonymously. Note too that just because you have rights, doesn't mean you're obligated to exercise them. It's like having the right to vote but choosing never to vote...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Locked out of Eclipse Bugzilla - can anyone help?
Next Topic:Changing the webpages titles of the forum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 21:58:17 GMT 2024